Light the World Christmas Initiative and Free Downloads

November 27, 2016

picture1

We are thrilled to announce our December initiative at The Small Seed: LIGHT the WORLD! It’s an honor to be collaborating with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (and a host of others we can’t wait to share with you!) as we LIGHT the WORLD with daily acts of service this December!

The Savior has taught us that He is the light of the world. (John 8:12) However, He has also taught us that we are to be the light of the world! (Matthew 5:14) So how do we do this? The answer is simple, by doing as He did and serving daily.

heals-a-woman-of-faith

It is amazing that the Savior was the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, with all power, knowledge, and authority to do anything, and yet what did He do?

He served.

Day in and day out, or in the middle of the night, He served. Whether mocked, persecuted, tired or alone, pressed upon by the multitudes, or in a quiet grove, He served. Surely if the King of Kings had time to serve, or better said, prioritized serving above all else, what joy will we find as we do the same?

We invite you to join in with us, and LIGHT the WORLD this December. Here’s how:

1. Check out this website, and watch this video (you may want to grab a few tissues first wink wink) and get inspired to serve as the Savior did this December!
  2. Click on the download below to access our free 25 day service calendar, a printable tree with ornaments to track your service (find instructions to print in the download), and a beautiful Christmas print.
  3. Invite family and friends to serve with you!
  4. Jump in and start serving! Join in with us in the Worldwide Day of Service on December 1st, or at any time throughout December.
  5. Share your experiences to inspire others with the hashtag #LIGHTtheWORLD or #TheSmallSeed, and we’ll be sharing posts that touch us on our Instagram feed and in our Instagram story!

visual

Remember, acts of service don’t have to be big to make a big impact. Just as the Savior made time for the woman at the well, for the children, or the lepers, the best opportunities for service may simply come as we are aware of the needs of those around us–whether in our families, our communities, or online.

healing-old-man

We promise that as you serve as He did you will find the true spirit of Christmas. We’re grateful to join hands with you as we follow the Savior and LIGHT the WORLD this December!

With Love,

The Small Seed Team

button

*If your browser is having issues opening the tree, download the tree separately here

• Reply Tecia November 27, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Thanks so much for creating and sharing these resources! They’ll be perfect for us to follow along with #LIGHTTHEWORLD.

• Reply Lizzy November 29, 2016 at 12:36 pm

We’re so glad you’ll be using them, and hope you have a wonderful month of December serving!

• Reply capturing joy with kristen duke November 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I love your one page calendar. I already printed off the 2 pager, but like the decoration on this one. I’ll be doing this at home with my family AND my seminary class!

• Reply Lizzy November 29, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Wonderful! We’re so glad to hear!

• Reply Sierra Roundy November 28, 2016 at 11:44 am

I LOVE THIS!!!! I shared it over on my blog, I hope that is okay. I just think so many people need to see this. What a great way to help people join in on the campaign!

• Reply Lizzy November 29, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Thanks so much Sierra for passing it along, we’re thrilled to have it shared!

• Reply jweed November 28, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Thank you! This is beautiful.

• Reply Mari Viertel November 29, 2016 at 2:58 am

I opened the zip file but can’t open the jpg file with the tree….. I only get the title at the bottom and one sprig… Ideas for what I did wrong? All the PDFs opened without trouble.

• Reply heather November 29, 2016 at 12:19 pm

same here. did you figure it out?

• Reply Lizzy November 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Hi Heather, so sorry for the hiccup! We’ve been trying to figure it out this morning and can’t seem to find what would be causing it! I’ve just added an additional link at the bottom of the post to download the tree separately, if that still won’t pull it up on your browser email me at hello@thesmallseed.com and I’ll email it over!

• Reply Lizzy November 29, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Hi Mari, so sorry for the hiccup! We’ve been trying to figure it out this morning and can’t seem to find what would be causing it! I’ve just added an additional link at the bottom of the post to download the tree separately, if that still won’t pull it up on your browser email me at hello@thesmallseed.com and I’ll email it over!

• Reply Jody Magee November 29, 2016 at 8:42 am

I am unable to open the jpg file with the tree as well…same issue as Mari. Please help!

• Reply heather November 29, 2016 at 12:20 pm

did you figure it out? this same thing is happening for me too.

• Reply Lizzy November 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Hi Jodi, so sorry for the hiccup! We’ve been trying to figure it out this morning and can’t seem to find what would be causing it! I’ve just added an additional link at the bottom of the post to download the tree separately, if that still won’t pull it up on your browser email me at hello@thesmallseed.com and I’ll email it over!

• Reply Annie November 29, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Anyone else seem to be having trouble opening the files? I downloaded successfully but the extraction seems to be having an issue.

• Reply Ella November 29, 2016 at 8:45 pm

The tree was easy to download the calender isnt downloadable somehow on my phone.

• Reply MeckMom November 29, 2016 at 10:52 pm

All of the downloads worked perfectly for me. Thanks so much for this gorgeous set of printables. I can’t wait to use them with my family!

• Reply Lizzy Jensen December 1, 2016 at 2:22 pm

So glad to hear it! Tag us so we can see what you do! xo

• Reply 25 ways to #LightTheWorld this Holiday Season November 29, 2016 at 11:23 pm

[…] The Small Seed – has an amazing printable packet including this tree! […]

• Reply terrah anderson November 30, 2016 at 11:05 am

Thankyou! These are beautiful!

• Reply Haylee November 30, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Thank you so much! This is a beautiful idea and I can’t wait to do this with my family!

• Reply jeni November 30, 2016 at 4:19 pm

thank you!!!!!!!!

• Reply Mandie Sherman November 30, 2016 at 5:15 pm

downloaded and sent to local print some – printing now! thank you for making this a fun, creative and engaging activity!

• Reply Mandie Sherman November 30, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Downloaded and sent to local print shop – printing now! Thank you for making this a fun, creative and engaging activity! #LightTheWorld

• Reply Lizzy Jensen December 1, 2016 at 2:23 pm

So glad you’re joining in with us! xo

• Reply Angie November 30, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I was able to download the file, but when I go to open it it says I have to use Winzip to open it. And that is $20 to download. Is there any other program I can use to open it without having to purchase Winzip? Thanks

• Reply Angie November 30, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Never mind I think I found a way to open it 🙂 Can’t wait to use this!! Thanks so much!!

• Reply Alison December 1, 2016 at 12:21 pm

How did you do it? I’m having the same issue?

• Reply Angie December 4, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I didn’t have time to print it out at the time and so I went back to print, and I can’t figure out, oops, haha. I saw your email address below I think I will try emailing you. 🙂

• Reply ashley November 30, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Love these printables so much ! Thank you for blessing so many lives with your talents dear ladies!

• Reply jenn November 30, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Thank you!! Love the re-designed calendar!

• Reply Alisa November 30, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I have not been able to print the calendar. Everything else has printed beautifully. Anyone else having this problem?

• Reply Haben December 1, 2016 at 11:45 am

Hi the download opens as, all I can guess, code??? It’s just a bunch of numbers and letters. I’ll try on my laptop instead.

• Reply Amy Miles December 1, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Thanks so much for your generosity & beautiful artwork! Thank you for YOUR light! 🙂

• Reply Brittany Ratelle December 1, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Everything looks beautiful! thank you!

• Reply Molly December 1, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Hi! Would you mind emailing me the files as well? I can’t get them to print? thank you so much- this is amazing!!!

• Reply Kiki December 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16

When a person who has a saving relationship with Christ through faith in His sacrifice of death on the cross and resurrection power then we serve Him out of gratitude for Him paying the penalty for our sins. Something we could never do on our own or through our own good deeds. When Jesus said, “Let your light shine before others,” he continued on. He went on to give the reason why it’s important to shine: “so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16b). Our goal should never be to bring recognition to ourselves, but to bring glory to God. There’s a fine line between being a light and putting on a show to get attention. It’s a matter of the heart. Trying to shine on our own can be exhausting. Instead, we’re simply called to be closely connected to God and remain in Him, then service comes naturally out of our connection with Him instead of some prescribed notion, to-do list, or whatever someone thinks “let your light shine…” means or is supposed to look like. God will show each of us individually how we are to let our light shine and when we do that we are serving Him.

• Reply Nanette Purdy December 2, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Ok we ordered the trees but Staples refused to help us because we weren’t “engineers”!!!! So we placed the order with Kinkos for 9.00 a sheet and they were lovely. Just a shout out for Kinkos everyone!!

• Reply Lisa December 3, 2016 at 8:55 am

This will be a focus of our Christmas celebration and sure to continue as a tradition each year. Thank you for sharing your talents in this way! You are Lighting the World!!

• Reply Marie December 5, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for providing these cute printables! Just to save time, I printed the tree at home on normal printer paper, and the kids use little star stickers as ornaments. It’s working great! Thank you again! xoxo

• Reply Angie LeBaron December 7, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Amazing! How generous you are to create this and share! Thank you! What a treasure! I’ll share on Facebook!

• Reply Christmas Traditions – Talk Wordy to Me December 22, 2016 at 10:29 pm

[…] loved the printables The Small Seed created for the Light the World campaign this year. In the past, we’ve tracked our little acts of service on notepads or with […]