October’s Scripture Study Guide – Obedience

October 6, 2016

Studying the scriptures is not something that came easy for me.

img_9724-web2

In fact, for a long time scripture study was the one thing I knew I needed to be better at, and the one things that always gave me guilt. Guilt that I didn’t read enough. Guilt that I didn’t read consistently enough. And guilt because I honestly wished I was better at it. Yet, I just wasn’t sure how to dive in. Every time I opened them I would read a page or two, my mind would wander, and I’d realize that I had no idea what I had just read.

And this is how it went. Over and over again – until just a few years ago when everything changed.

I was living the hustling rat race when, in just a matter of months, my life was hit with a tsunami of trials. Among these, included being diagnosed with multiple chronic health issues that left me laying in bed, day-after-day. My life that had once been go-go-go, was now completely still. And it rocked me. Everything felt like it turned upside down and inside out. I was broken, shattered, and depressed. And frankly, I didn’t know how to handle it. At all.

So, with no where else to go, and nothing else to do, I opened my scriptures.

This time, it was different. I didn’t open them to check something off my christian check-list, but I opened them to find hope, to find answers, and to find my Savior!

For the following months I engulfed myself in Christ’s words. I read, I studied, and I prayed.

I needed truth, peace & solace.

And you know what?
I found them.

For the first time, in a long time, the scriptures became alive. Like really alive! Each day that I sat at God’s feet with this new determined desire to find Him, He taught me. Reading my scriptures was no longer a task, but it became something that I yearned for. Stories that had once just been stories – were now real! Real people with tangible life lessons that had meaning to me and to my life right now!

It was as if I had hit the jack-pot, a river of gold, a fountain of cookie-dough!

The phrase “feast upon the words of Christ” finally made sense. The more I read, the more I wanted. Christ literally became the ‘bread of life’ and ‘the living waters’ in my life. And God – well just as He promised, He answered. Through the scriptures I did find hope. I found peace. And I found my Savior on a deeper more intimate level than ever before!

And now. Well now I can honestly look you in the eyes, with a swelled up heart and a lump in my throat and tell you – with every emotion that I have, that I love the scriptures! I love God’s words!

But not only that.

I love to help anyone I can love them as much as I do.
Because they saved my life. Literally.

And not only have they saved my life, but they have saved everyone of our lives here at The Small Seed.
We love the scriptures!

A few weeks ago when our team felt inspired to start a Monthly theme, I knew I wanted to spear head a monthly study guide for our community. It has been an intense topic of prayer for me personally and for our entire team. We feel strongly about these guides and we have pleaded with God to help us create not only a tool that helped others dig into His words, but also something that would sprout an entire community that could study and learn together!

So, without further ado…
We are happy to introduce The Small Seed’s first monthly study guide!

img_9694-web

The study guides will be broken down topically into 4 sections;

Articles and Talks
Scriptures and Scripture Stories
Christ’s Life
Self Reflection

The guide is designed, not only for print, but also as a digital PDF that includes hyperlinks to all the material. Making it easy to use on your phone, tablet or computer! (I’ll also be demonstrating different ways you can use the guide on my personal Instagram @tiffany.webster if you want to follow along!)

We intentionally grouped the content by sections, rather than dividing it into weeks. Although we hope to learn and study together, we prayerfully created the guide with no strict directions so that YOU can use it to fit your individual needs. There is no right way to study the scriptures. In fact, every person on our team studies in entirely different way!

It’s our prayer that this guide can become a tool that enhances your own personal study, but in your own personal way!

img_9700-web

Alongside our personal studies – it is our hope that we can develop an entire community that can learn and grow from each other!! (But really, how cool would this be! All of us studying the same topic, sharing our insights with each other….basically, insert heart exploding here.)

We understand some insights are personal, but we challenge you to have the courage to share what God is teaching you to not only your family and friends, but with our community as well! We have chosen to use the hashtag   #NOURISHTHESEED for our movement – because, well, that’s exactly we’re hoping to accomplish. Plus you know…’The Small Seed.” So ya, it’s perfect.

Again, we are so excited about this study guide and we hope you are too! Thank you for being here, thank you for taking the time to read this, and even more – thank you for taking the time to download this and use it.

We know as you intentionally put God first and study His words, your life will be blessed with peace, direction, and joy. Studying the gospel takes work, but as you consistently do it, God will enlighten your mind, expand your understanding, and deepen your desire to learn of Him and His ways!

Again, thank you for who you are. We love you. We are praying for you. We promise as you study, ponder and reflect upon these truths, your life will be filled with the enabling power and strength of our Savior!

ENJOY!

download-button

• Reply Kristen Anderson October 7, 2016 at 9:43 am

I’ve been doing the SheReadsTruth study guides and was hungry for something from an LDS perspective. I really appreciate the work that has gone into these and I am excited to participate in what this can grow to become.

One of my favorite parts of the SheReadsTruth community is the devotional part of the studies. It really helps get my head in the game. Just thought I would throw that out there.

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 10, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Kristen – Yes! I love SheReadsTruth and SO many things they do. I too love their devotion part of their studies and will definitely keep that in mind! Love it!

• Reply Ashley Ziegler October 7, 2016 at 9:47 am

This just sounds so wonderful! Thank you for sharing your experience. 🙂

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 10, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for being here and for taking the time to download it! xoxoxo!

• Reply Michelle Wilwand October 7, 2016 at 9:52 am

I am thrilled to see this and start using it. I’ve read the Book of Mormon four times in the last two years, with different methods of study each time, and was looking for a new way to study and this…this is an answer to prayers! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 10, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I would love to hear some of your methods! Can’t wait to see how the guide goes for you, thank you for downloading it! xoxoxo!

• Reply Lee October 7, 2016 at 12:01 pm

THANK YOU for taking the time to do these. Since having children, I’ve never recovered my scripture study groove. I am so excited to give this a try 🙂

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 10, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Can’t wait to see how it goes for you! Make sure you tag any posts on social media with #nourishtheseed – I would love to hear your insights and input!

• Reply Alexis October 10, 2016 at 11:47 am

I am so excited to use this guide as I study my scriptures. It is hard trying to fitting in scripture study while going to school and working full time. It has always been hard for me to be consistent with it, even though I know how important it is. I’m excited to make it a lifelong habit for me and my husband. 🙂

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 10, 2016 at 8:07 pm

The battle of keeping a consistent scripture study is SO real! I have been there for years – I truly hope this guide can help alleviate that struggle even a little bit! xoxoxo!

• Reply Kristen October 10, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Can’t thank you enough for this Tiffany. Increasing the frequency and depth of my scripture study has been weighing on my heart for awhile but I was feeling overwhelmed at where to start and what to do. Thank you for being my scripture “trainer” and giving me a spiritual “workout plan” to guide my scripture study. I don’t feel quite so overwhelmed now ❤️ I don’t think knowing how to truly feast upon God’s word comes naturally to some of us (me) and I’m so grateful that you’re sharing and blessing us with what you’ve learned!

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 12, 2016 at 11:46 am

Kristen! You have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you for taking the time to write it – and especially for these kind words. Sometimes I wonder if it will even make a difference, so for people to take the time and comment means a lot! Can’t wait to hear how your study goes and how it helps! xoxoxo!

• Reply Becky Nielson October 11, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I am crying tears of gratitude for you and for this wonderful program!! An answer to my scripture study prayers! Thank you for blessing others with your work and all the time it took you to put this together. I am deeply so grateful and can’t wait to dive in!!

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 12, 2016 at 11:47 am

Oh man, Becky – Thank you so much for your gratitude. It means so much! Truly hope that it helps!! Thank you for taking the time to download it!

• Reply Rebs October 12, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Tiffany! I just listened to your ‘faith works’ talk on the Mormon channel and felt like we could be twins…it touched my heart so much! Thank thank THANK YOU for sharing your dark moments so honestly that I could relate and then to feel your JOY was incredible. You are a true example. I will study with you! Thank you..

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 17, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Oh man! I am almost so sorry you could be my twin! But so thankful for these sweet sweet comments – sounds like we could do lunch sometime and talk for hours! Thank you for taking the time to download the study guide, it means so much! I want to hear how it goes for you! Email me at tiffany@thesmallseed.com if you ever want to chat! xoxoxoxo!

• Reply Katie October 17, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I am so excited about this!! Is this something you will be doing every month? I too have struggled with having meaningful scripture study so I am so grateful for this study guide to help motivate me to be better.

• Reply Tiffany Webster October 17, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Yes! That is the hope! To have a new guide, with a new topic, every single month! I can’t wait to hear how the guide goes for you! Definitely let us know!

• Reply Jessima October 24, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Thank you SO much for this new series. I have felt like I have grown so much. You have not only helped me begin to “study and feast upon His word” better, but my love for learning and desire to be better has grown. Thank you again for the time and effort that has gone into this study guide and future guides. I look forward to seeing them each month 🙂

• Reply Janelle October 25, 2016 at 10:59 am

My heart is so full of gratitude for this post and your one on lds.org. I have felt impressed this year to focus on obedience and scripture *study* not just reading. Thank you for hitting both those topics in one post! I feel like it was written just for me.❤️

• Reply holly Larsen November 1, 2016 at 10:01 pm

• Reply Building a Testimony of Gospel Principles with Come Follow Me Study Guides - FREE February Download - February 9, 2017 at 11:27 pm

[…] too long after, I stumbled upon The Small Seed. One of the first posts I read included the first monthly scripture study guide created by Tiffany Webster (go check our her Instagram account and be prepared to be inspired). I […]