Hope & Wellness

Choosing to Love Myself

February 9, 2016

We’re going to be doing something different this month, and we’ve been itching to tell you all about it! February’s the month to celebrate love, and in our culture we spend no shortage of time and money to do so. But as we’ve been taking a good hard look around us—at ourselves, our families, our media and our world, we’ve realized so many of us struggle with one very fundamental thing—loving ourselves, and seeing ourselves as God does.

We spend our money trying to fit in, we pour over magazines and the latest how-to articles, and spend hours trying to emulate the beauty that the world glorifies. But at the end of the day, chasing after the world’s standard of beauty and worth only leaves us exhausted, self-conscious, and hungry for true acceptance. And that’s what the world wants, to leave us feeling like we have to buy more, do more, and know more in order to fit in.

This isn’t God’s way. God loves us unconditionally, and He can teach us how to as well.

But why does this matter? Loving ourselves as God does defines us more than we realize! Loving ourselves in God’s way teaches us that our self-worth isn’t based on our body, clothes, accomplishments or even talents. It instills in us that we were “fearfully and wonderfully made”, and that we were “bought with a price.” It gives us the love we need to love God’s children, and the powerful peace that lets us know that we are enough, just as we are.

2016-02-09 17.46.54

Wouldn’t it be such an amazing thing for ourselves, our daughters, our mothers, our friends and families, if we could each have this love for ourselves?

Let’s make this happen!

So this month we’re going to do just that. We’re going to “choose to love ourselves”, even as God loves us. And we want you to join us! The power is in all of us— and with recognition, work, prayer, and practice we can replace old, destructive habits with good ones. Please join us in this 18 day challenge.

Here’s the challenge (and we hope you choose to accept it!):

This means no negative comments, no negative words, or negative jokes about yourself. Use the heart print (on the first page of the downloadable packet below) to track your efforts. Color in a section of the heart for each day you go without negative self-talk. (And if you mess up – it’s ok! If you apologize to yourself and commit to trying again we’ll let you fill in that section too 😉

As you stop saying negative things about yourself, create new habits that will fill this void. Use the challenge sheet to do something each day to develop new habits.

We are so excited to do this with you! And we have some amazing women co-hosting who will be right by your side! Follow along here at the Small Seed, over at our co-hosts pages and feeds (see below), and with the hashtag #choosingtolovemyself to share with each other!

A big thank you to the co-hosts (who you’ll hear a lot more from!) who are so passionate about this topic as well, we can’t wait to learn from you!

With love,

A huge thank you to Melanie Burk for creating the beautiful tools, pledge, and downloads that will be your guide map through this challenge! Access all the information and downloads by clicking below.

• Reply Emily Falke February 9, 2016 at 11:01 pm

What a great thing! Thank you!

• Reply Brooke Snow February 10, 2016 at 10:51 am

Wonderful challenge! This year I chose “divine nature” as my word for the year so I can come to really see myself in truth the way God does. It takes conscious effort but the world is so much better when we live in that identity instead of the natural man. Thanks for doing good in the world!

• Reply Kelly February 10, 2016 at 10:55 am

I love this and I love this site. Thank you for your inspired work!

• Reply Blakely February 10, 2016 at 2:11 pm

This is truly perfect. I have been thinking about this so much lately and just really love that you’re sharing and spreading this to many people. I can’t wait to do this challenge!

• Reply layne February 10, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Thank you for this! I’m anxious to participate.

• Reply Jen H February 10, 2016 at 9:29 pm

This is literally an answer to a recent prayer. Thank you for this, and for such lovely, uplifting content.

• Reply Brittany Scott February 10, 2016 at 10:50 pm

You are all so inspired! Wish we were closer!

• Reply Makayla Maisey February 10, 2016 at 11:18 pm

I cannot thank you enough for this.

• Reply Whytli Rogers February 11, 2016 at 8:20 pm

This is beautiful. I am going to share over on my blog so my readers can do this challenge with me. So inspirational. Absolutely love your posts.

• Reply Ep 030: Giving Yourself Grace with Kim Stoddard of The Small Seed | Marvelous Moms Club February 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm

[…] Small Seed has an incredible collaborative challenge going on right now #choosingtolovemyself. It’s time to see ourselves as God sees us and they are starting a movement in which for 18 […]

• Reply Kristy Woodson Harvey February 13, 2016 at 9:22 am

This is so fabulous! I’m sharing on my blog as well. What a great new spin on Valentine’s Day!

• Reply Loving YOU on Valentine's Day! - Kristy Woodson Harvey February 13, 2016 at 9:05 pm

[…] all of you today! (Happy Valentine’s Day, by the way!) And I stumbled across this fabulous Choosing to Love Myself challenge from this group of amazing bloggers […]

• Reply Susanne Royal February 14, 2016 at 12:49 am

Thank you for doing this! My goal and gift to Jesus Christ for Christmas, was to learn to love myself. I have had a very hard time doing this in my life. This will surely help!

• Reply McKenzie Winkel February 14, 2016 at 9:28 am

I found your sight and this challenge through Hailey Devine. I’m glad that her post led me to some other amazing bloggers. But I’m also glad that it led me to this sweet challenge. I feel like my negative self talk is more comparing myself to others. I think I’m awesome but I think other people are more awesome and I wish I did things more like them. It’s definitely something that I need to stop though. I am going to be sharing this challenge on my blog because I think it’s something that everyone needs to do! Thanks for starting this 🙂

• Reply Lyn March 23, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Thank you. This is awesome

• Reply Melissa April 25, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I love this! I keep going back to it on my phone. I finally was able to get to my computer to download the pictures but it says the link is broken? is there another way to get it?

• Reply Lizzy April 26, 2016 at 4:43 am

Hi Melissa, thanks so much for letting us know, not sure what happened here but it should be fixed now! Let me know if you have any issues downloading! xo