The Rain that Refreshes

May 20, 2014

Even as I’m trying to live a life with faith, some days are just long and, frankly, hard. The last month has been full and I’m trying to juggle everything, all while feeling that I’m not really doing anything adequately. I want to be a good mom, and cuddle my babies and read to them and understand why they’re spitting up so much, I want to make The Small Seed a success and worry I’m not enough, I want to be present for my husband, I want to be in tune with the needs of others, and everything else that I’m trying to do. It makes me anxious, and I feel like I’m in one of those little hamster wheels, running as fast as I can, but looking back and wondering why I haven’t gotten anywhere.

It reminds me of the feeling in the air right before it rains, when the sky is dark and the air is heavy and thick. The humidity and pressure makes the cold colder and the hot hotter. It’s as if everything in the sky is just waiting for the heavens to part and for the rain to come.

A few days ago Tillie Rose and I planted our herbs and flowers in pots out on our back porch. As we were halfway through planting, a thick dark cloud quickly moved overhead, and the heavy raindrops came in what seemed like an instant.

Rather than rush us inside, I just sat with Tillie and let the rain fall. I could tell she expected me to tell her we couldn’t get wet, and the look on her face was priceless when I told her we could just stay on the porch and get drenched. After about 20 minutes of hard rain, it left as quickly as it had come, and the clouds parted and the warm sun shone.

Even living a life with faith can still be hard. It is mortality after all! We all need the rain that refreshes our souls, gives us the hope and courage and motivation to just keep on trying, and the assurance that the work we’re doing is making a difference. We need to know that even when if don’t see results on earth, there is at least One in heaven who sees them. At times and months like these, I’m grateful for the moments of rain and sun, that let the clouds part long enough for me to feel God’s love, and an assurance that it’s all going to work out.

Do you ever feel this way? What do you do to refresh your soul?

• Reply The Piquant Storyteller May 20, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I like to do a lot of different things to refresh my soul. Talking to my husband, refocusing on gospel truths, crafts, and sewing. I especially like sewing because it always reminds me of the gospel. Particularly the principle of repentance. Somehow it puts things back into perspective.
    This blog always inspires me. Thank you for posting as often as you do.

• Reply Liz Jensen May 21, 2014 at 2:21 am

I love this, and love your thought about crafting and sewing actually. I sometimes forget that hobbies can be a great way to regain perspective and refocus, and need to take time for those things too. Thank you!

• Reply Katie May 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm

What a great post. You’ve helped me better understand what Elder Uchtdorf meant in conference when he said, “How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain?”

Moving forward, I think I will always thinking of rain a little differently. Thank you for your thought 🙂

• Reply Liz Jensen May 21, 2014 at 2:24 am

Isn’t that the truth? (It reminds me of his comment about riding bikes with his wife–he rode to get to the destination and race, and she rode for the beauty of it, or something like that, he’s full of great stories that just stick!) Thanks for sharing Katie!

• Reply Leilani and Brice May 21, 2014 at 2:45 am

I have those days, weeks, and even months sometimes too. Being a mom is hard because so much of what we’re doing as moms we can’t see right now. We sometimes can’t see the big picture. All we can see, sometimes, is the endless laundry and constant bickering of kids, and I feel like what I’m doing is pointless sometimes, even though I know it’s really not. But thankfully there is a loving Heavenly Father who can see the big picture. And he gives us so many ways to find encouragement, like conference talks, Ensign articles, and wonderful blogs like yours. Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply Liz Jensen May 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Leilani, I think you just nailed why faith is so important and blesses our lives so much–it’s trusting that God can see so much more than we can and being humble enough to believe where we are is right where we’re supposed to be (even when it seems hard!). Loved your comment, thanks for sharing.

• Reply Recover Deleted Files Blackberry March 17, 2017 at 9:15 pm